Matthew Smith (@whale) is a successful entrepreneur and product designer. He has worked with figures and organizations like Seth Godin, the Gates Foundation, and the US Postal Service. In 2014, he co-created Really Good Emails, which quickly became the world’s premier source for email design inspiration. In 2021, driven by his pursuit of meaningful work, Smith co-founded Bunsen, a niche creative studio aiding science-oriented companies with strategy, branding, and messaging. We rap about our inherent desire to curate online inspiration, strategies for effective sales pitches to clients, and just how to find an industry you’ll love working in.
Episode Sponsor: Lemon Squeezy 🍋
Lemon Squeezy is the best payment platform I’ve found to help creators easily sell digital products. Whether you are selling your SaaS or ebook, their platform can accept payments instantly, you don’t even need a website to start earning.
What’s great about Lemon Squeezy sponsoring the podcast, is I have been a huge fan since day 1 and use them to sell several of my own side hustles.
Check out Lemon Squeezy if you’d like to save a ton of time and focus on levelling up your online offering.
- 01:57Intermission: No Context
- 03:52Our inherent desire to curate online inspiration
- 12:35Sponsor: Lemon Squeezy
- 15:56The meaningful work done with Bunsen
- 22:27Getting out a rut and finding a niche you would love working in
- 25:28How to construct an effective sales pitch
- 29:00Promo: Yo! on YouTube – Yo! Newsletter
- 29:15Motivation, monetisation and staying lean on side-projects
- 38:16Intermission: Overrated, Underrated
- 42:07Top 3 productivity tools
- 43:38Advice for anyone struggling with alcohol abuse
Bonus Episode Content:
Clip: Are Design Systems overrated?